We had a 48h tank fest during the weekend because Obisdian was running the test 2 server all weekend. Thank you Obsidian...
So the tanks:
- T-64: well it's no T-62 but the turret is still very good in a hull down position. Fully upgraded gun (ammo) is very comfortable to play, it has very nice pen and alpha damage. Like with the tier 3 vehicles, T-64 is just better suited for me. I upgraded it faster and I enjoy playing it much more than the Leopard.
- Leopard - holy shit, this thing is slow (yes, this leo is slow as f****), turning makes it lose speed like crazy, maneuvering around the port map is pain. The gun is great but it suffers from WoT Germany syndrome (very nice pen, great accuracy but very low alpha. Like comparing IS-3 gun with Tiger 2 when having a low roll of 280HP). Fully upgraded vehicle is just a little bit better. No armor on the body, the light tanks and TD's will love you. If you get spotted on a open map - you are dead. I don't like it at all.
- When playing AW you need to remember one thing - here, things can escalate very quickly. (What???) Let's put it like this: the light tanks can kill you with no problem, the TD can kill you with no problem. As a MTB (main battle tank) you will NOT spot them first. When you are spotted - EVERYBODY IS SHOOTING AT YOU. So, one wrong move - you are dead or crippled (like below 25% HP).
- At tier 4 you will start to hate one word - Swingfire. Oh, that little crap will rape you with no problem and you wont even know where the f**** it is. It is the Rhm. WT of AW. Just sit in the bush and snipe.
- Remember my problem shooting thru pipes and stuff. Well, it's not texture connected, that's how Obsidian made it. Imagine this: you are driving thru the city, you come to a corner, there is a tank standing sideways in the next street, you come out to shoot it but there is some wire fens between you two. The 125mm round cannot pen the wire fens, it will explode like it hit a wall (Yes, the fens will then be destroyed and you CAN shoot but who will be the idiot to open the view). So here a two tanks with HUGE guns playing salsa around a wired fens since none of them want to eat a bullet first.
- Next on my "crying list": you just stopped to aim, you stopped on some little bump on the road (rock, car wreck, anything small) you are sniping the enemy but your tanks is rocking back and forward like you are being pushed by another vehicle. So, you need to get of that bump (or whatever) in order to aim - very frustrating.
- Cry 2: I'm gone crazy or my tanks drive faster off road. Paved street and my both tanks cannot reach maximum speed (and I'm not even touching the A and D buttons). Off road, no problem, flying. I don't get it.
- Cry 3: For some reason tanks accelerate faster when driving backwards (???)
- Cry 4: the idiots in general chat and the frustrated morons in ingame chat are just arriving. I just hope that Obsidian will punish them hard core style since none of us want the same behavior as in WoT to be displayed in AW.
I know this is closed beta and that Obsidian will fix all of the issues.
For now, I will stand with my original statement: this game has such great potential, it's more dynamic than WoT, at this stage it's more fun than WoT, it need's some polishing and then it will be magnificent.
One funny thing, map River Point.
On the start of the match there is a cinematic of a plane being hit by AA missile. It looks very nice and WoT artillery on the start of the match now looks pathetic.
The funny part is that almost every match someone punches this (or something like this) into chat:
"Here comes that plane with the WoT developers..."
"Oh shit, SerB and Storm are in that plane"
Little idea for Obsidian to add a Easter egg here - put a WG logo on that plane :)
pls watch the video so you get the idea how awesome that part is...